Fulton County Joint Advisory Health Insurance Committee Minutes JAHIC Nov 3 2022
1. Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 4:35 p.m. by Co-Chair, Jaclyn Webb.
2. Roll Call – Committee members present were: Laura Kessel, Barry Beck, Susan Duquenne, John Spangler (4:50 p.m.), Patrick O’Brian, Katie Lynn, Mary Ellen Carmack, Jaclyn Webb, Amber McKenzie, Beth Hadsall, and Trudy Williams.
3. Approval of Previous Minutes- Motion was made by Duquenne, second by Beck to approve the minutes from the August 4, 2022 meeting. Motion carried by roll call vote (10-0)
4. Additions, Deletions, Corrections to Agenda – Motion made by Kessel, second by Carmack to approve the agenda. Motion carried by roll call vote (10-0).
5. New Business – Stan Travelstead presented the committee with a packet containing an up to date claims report through September 30, 2022 and the proposed rate increase from Health Alliance, who was the only insurance provider to submit a quote. Health Alliance’s quote reflected a 45% increase. An attach email dated October 19, 2022, from Annmarie Gibson, Client Consultant for Health Alliance, outlined the rate history for Fulton County. January 2021 – the County received rate relief of -3% for that year. January 2022 – the County received a rate increase of 9.86% as the losses were greater and we had 8 large claimants. For January 2023 – Health Alliance losses were even greater and we now have 9 large claimants. A self-funded quote was not made by Health Alliance. “Unfortunately Underwriting has declined to quote for Self-Funded. The large claims alone make this one ill-suited for the Self-Funded platform at this time. If we were to provide a quote it would be higher than the Fully Insured due to discounts alone, plus the corridor and also lasers.” The following companies declined to quote at all: Blue Cross/Blue Shield, United Healthcare, Cigna, Humana, and Aetna.
Member Spangler said that the deductible should be increase from $500.00 to $1,000.00. Member O’Brian didn’t support the increase. He did state that we needed a quote on self-funded insurance.
After discussion, two directives were given to Stan: to verify that all big claims were still ongoing or if some had dropped off and to see the dollar amount that would be saved by increasing the deductible to $1,000.00. The committee will meet Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
6. Old Business – None
7. Adjournment – Motion by O’Brian, second by Kessel to adjourn. Motion carried by roll call vote (11-0). Meeting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Minutes by: Trudy Williams